Thursday, December 6, 2012

My good deed for the day

As I opened the door for her, she grabbed my shoulder bringing it closer to her level. Her soft left hand trembled as she brought it to my face, caressing my cheek. Her other hand still forcefully on my shoulder left enough space on my other cheek for her to make her mark: one set of wrinkly lips outlined with red.

That's right ladies and gents, I did a good deed worthy of a kiss on the cheek from a lady old enough to be my grandmother.

 

I was running an errand in the middle of the day, trying to buy time unitl the end of the day. I stopped at the local Hyvee and as I was getting back into my truck, I noticed this frail, elderly figure that was ever-so-slowly making her way down the sidewalk.

She said, "Where are you heading?" in a voice that was shaking and as frail as her stature.

"My next stop is in Jackson, just south of here...." I paused, not realizing why she was asking, "Why? Do you want a ride somewhere?"

"Why yes! Just three blocks down the street to the hair salon," she said with her eyes lighting up.

I offered my arm as a extra support as we walked to the passenger side of my truck. I took a minute to clean up my extra work supplies. She took the big step (atleast she made it seem like a big step) into my truck.

As I closed the door and walked around to my side of the vehicle again, I thought about how odd of an occasion this was and the courage it took for her to ask the simple questions of where I was going.

As I got in the truck, I asked her what her name was (Eva) and gave her mine. I put the truck in drive and asked her again where we were going. It was at that moment when she said something that really caught my attention.

She said, "It is good to know that there are still good people in this world."

My mind raced to this picture I saw just the other day:

This shirt is from www.feedjustone.com. They sell shirts for $20 and in turn the profit goes to feed roughly 30 meals (per shirt) to children that are starving all over the world. I haven't picked one up quite yet, but I'm sure I will.

 

The shirt makes me think of my encounter with Eva and how it took two of us to perform a tiny miracle that day. Eva believed that I, a stranger that she knows nothing about, was a generally good-hearted person. And I, a person who tries to live a faithful life, did what is right.

My role was easy, and I believe that most people would do the same thing I did and offer Eva a ride three blocks. What fascinates me to this day, is the belief that Eva had. That a young stranger was a good person. Eva believed that there was good in this world, and allowed me to be the good in this world.

Eva, you are my hero, and I thank god for our brief encounter. I hope to learn from you. I hope that as I see the car broken down on the side of the road, I stop to help rather than worry the strangers are probably going to rob me. I hope that I will seize the opportunity to serve, volunteer, or help. Most of all, I hope that I have the courage to ask a stranger for their help when I am in need, believing the the world around me is not corrupt,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment